My friend Lisa recently asked if I knew of any good recipes for kabobs, and I figured that with a long 4th of July weekend coming up, this would be a perfect time to post about kabobs. I love grilling out, but I’m still waiting on one of those big, fancy grills. Ours is just a little thing (see below), but it works great for all things veggie. When making kabobs, the only thing I really use a recipe for is the marinade. Otherwise, it’s all personal choice. We use wooden skewers, and I do recommend soaking those in water for about 15 minutes before grilling. Also, it can get a little annoying filling up lots of skewers when all you really want to do is eat. So we’ll prepare about 6 or so kabobs and then divide the rest of the veggies up into little foil packets. We throw those on the grill while we’re eating, since they take a little longer. It’s a great way to plan ahead on lunches.
Grilled Veggie Kabobs
- about 4 cups of your favorite veggies …. some suggestions: bell pepper (cut into big chunks); baby red potatoes (I pre-cook these in the microwave for about 10 minutes — make sure to pierce a few times with a fork first); whole button mushrooms (or portabellos, chopped); cherry tomatoes; red onion (chopped into large chunks … also try shallots – they’re so sweet!); whole garlic cloves (peeled); zucchini or summer squash (cut into rounds)
- 1-2 cups of protein (optional) … we’ve used seitan chunks; extra-firm tofu cubes; vegetarian sausage (cut into chunks)
- 1 recipe Grilled Kabob Marinade
Grilled Kabob Marinade
- 3/4 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Whisk ingredients in a bowl and pour into plastic zip lock bag with veggies (from above). Mix and leave marinating in fridge for 2-4 hours, turning bag every so often.
2. Drain marinade into a bowl. Arrange veggies on skewers and grill, 10-15 minutes, basting with remaining marinade. If you have extra veggies and marinade, divide into little foil packets and grill for about 20-25 minutes.